Powiatowy Szlak Polski Walczącej

The Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Nieporęt
The Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Nieporęt
The baroque church in Nieporęt is one of the most valuable monuments in the Legionowo County. The temple was built in the years 1661-1667. In 1661, the Parliament adopted a resolution approving the will of the King of Poland, John II Casimir Vasa to construct a church as a votive offering for having survived the Swedish Deluge.

Inside the church, there is a plaque dedicated to the soldiers of the 3rd Battalion of the Home Army from Nieporęt who were killed in action, who died and perished in the struggle for Poland’s independence in the years 1939-1945. This Battalion was part of the 1st Region “Marianowo-Brzozów”, 7th Home Army District „Obroża” („Collar”). It was commanded by first lieutenant Bronislaw Tokaj alias Bogdan. The battalion consisted of three companies (a total of 14 platoons) and a dedicated Military Subversion Division. The battalion operated on the area of: Zegrze, Nieporęt, Białobrzegi, Rembelszczyzna, Stanisławów, and Izabelin. The main military operations:

- July 30, 1944 – the military unit under the command of second lieutenant Z. Mirecki alias ‘Zim’ liberated the Soviet POW camp in Beniaminów, where, according to the Home Army Intelligence Service, approximately 3,800 soldiers were detained in inhumane conditions;

- August 1, 1944 – an attack on German cars on the route from Nieporęt to Struga, setting German fuel depots ablaze;

- On the night of 14th to 15th August 1944 – the Nieporęt military unit of first lieutenant “Korab” (Konstanty Radziwiłł), reinforced by the soldiers from Skrzeszew and Wieliszew, attacked the German heavy artillery battery shelling Warsaw in Annopol; Germans suffered significant losses in men and equipment; a few days later (on August, 19) the unit had been surrounded by the Germans, most of the soldiers were captured and executed by firing squad, and the lieutenant “Korab”, imprisoned and tortured, was murdered on September, 14.

On April 8, 1668, the King of Poland John II Casimir issued a decree about the foundation of the church. On June 18, 1668, the Bishop Ludwik Zaluski consecrated the church. One of the most distinguished priests, exercising the longest spiritual ministry in the parish of Nieporęt, was Father Władysław Ślepowroński (1839-1925). Priest for 56 years, he served as pastor during the difficult period of the Russian Partition and lovingly cared about the development of the temple.

While visiting the interior of the church, it is worth noting two baroque portals (window cornices) in the chancel. The left portal leads to the sacristy for the altar servers (the former treasure-box with the original doors from the 17th century), and the right portal, the northern one, leads to the clergy sacristy. It is decorated with the image of the coat of arms of the House of Vasa "wheat sheaf", beautifully sculpted in black marble. At present it is one of the heraldic figures of the coat of arms of the Nieporęt commune.