Powiatowy Szlak Polski Walczącej

The Parish Cemetery in Serock
The Parish Cemetery in Serock
The Serock cemetery was established in 1806. During the Kingdom of Poland, the veterans of the Napoleonic wars, serving in the 2nd Invalid Company stationed in Serock, were buried here. Our attention is drawn to one of the greatest tombstones, where is laid to rest the colonel and engineer who rendered great service to our country on the battlefield in his time and was awarded with many medals – Adam Bogusławski (1785-1872).

In the cemetery the remains of the Polish soldiers from the 155th Infantry Regiment, who died on August 17, 1920, in the area of Serock, including private Marian Podczaski, private Walenty Rogacki and private Sylwester Rożewski, are laid to rest.

Here lie the ashes of the Polish soldiers fallen in September 1939, the riflemen Aftyka and Ignacy Kaźmieruk and five sappers, who died during the mine clearance operation in Serock in 1945.

In the cemetery were also laid to rest the remains of victims of executions carried out by the Nazis on February 28, 1941, when the German firing squad killed 21 people in the nearby gorge, next to Rybaki Street. In 1957, the bodies of the victims were exhumed.

In the cemetery, there is a family tomb of the owners of the Zegrze estate – Radziwiłł. In the family tomb lie the ashes of the Home Army officer and first lieutenant Constantin Radziwill alias Korab, who after fighting in the Warsaw Uprising was captured and executed by the Nazi firing squad in September 1944. His remains were discovered only in May 1969 on the territory of the Zegrze garrison.

The tombstone of the Skalski family, owners of the Wincentowo estate, bears an inscription relating to Major Tadeusz Skalski, killed on September 3, 1939. There are also the tombs of the members of the Polish Underground Movement, i.e. soldiers of the Polish Home Army and the Polish anti-communist military resistance organization, including: Michał Budzyński, Wacław Deptuła, Stefan Grabowski, Władysław Kaznowski and Edmund Siemiński, as well as the Polish Youth Resistance Movement Artur Maciejewski.

In the years 1947-1949, next to the cemetery, there was a graveyard of the Soviet soldiers who fell during the Battle of Serock and in the surrounding area. After the ashes of the soldiers were transferred to Kleszewo, the area was integrated into the parish cemetery.