Powiatowy Szlak Polski Walczącej

The Parish Cemetery in Wola Kiełpińska
The Parish Cemetery in Wola Kiełpińska
The parish cemetery in Wola Kiełpińska was delimited in 1893. Some families transferred the ashes of their loved ones from the cemetery in Zegrze, seized by the Russian for the construction of the fortress, to the new one. That is why we can find graves older than the cemetery itself, dating back to the second half of the 19th century. Among them, we can find some architecturally interesting monuments of the administrators of the Zegrze estate, like the grave of Antoni Xsiężopolski, in the shape of a broken column, who died on September 11, 1866, and the tombstones of the Urbanowski family. In 1929, Zygmunt Adam Szaniawski, Junosza coat of arms (1852-1929), father of the famous writer Jerzy Szaniawski (1888-1970), owner of the nearby Zegrzynek, was also buried in Wola Kiełpińska.

Among those buried in the cemetery, we should mention a January Uprising participant Feliks Janicki from Stanislawów (1837-1923), carpenter who rendered great service to the construction of the church and a Home Army soldier Leszek Wnęka – a recipient of the Poland’s highest military decoration, the War Order of Virtuti Militari.

In the cemetery of Wola Kiełpińska, resides mass grave of the Polish Army soldiers who died in September 1939, and the tomb of two soldiers of the 5th Engineer-Sapper Brigade who died while defusing a mine in June 1945.

The grave of Colonel Aleksander Kita, killed by the Security Service in 1952, bears an appropriate inscription indicating this fact.